CAT 124: Ethnography and Informal Science Learning
CAT 124: Comicraft
Alert: As of Winter 2015, departmental courses and AIP internships no longer require a Practicum proposal.
About the Practicum
The Sixth College Practicum is an upper-division, four-unit general education requirement that embodies the college’s commitment to active, hands-on learning. Students enroll in courses that have an experiential, service-learning, or community-based component to the curriculum.
In Fall 2016, Sixth College will be partnering with the Birch Aquarium and the Scripps Institute of Oceanography to bring Sixth College students an exciting and innovative new Practicum opportunity! Read more about this special CAT 124 course at http://sixth.ucsd.edu/practicum/practicum-options/sixth-college-classes.html#Fall-Quarter-2016 and contact the Practicum Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to enroll!
CAT Hosted Practica
Departmental, UCDC, and Study Abroad Practica
- July 10, 2013: Dr. Liz Losh, Director of Academic Programs, blogs about CAT 124 course Comicraft for Bedford/St. Martin's: Part II: Service Learning Through Comics - Final Projects.
Bedford Bits: Ideas for Teaching Compostion
- May 31, 2013: UCSD mentors worked with High Tech High Media Arts students to create amazing films in Sixth College's Filmmaking and Authentic Narrative practicum taught by Dr. Michael Trigilio.
Check out some of their work on HTH teacher Margaret Noble's Media Art By Students website.
- Former Practicum student, James Eggert, who participated in Professor Levy's Jordan Expedition co-wrote Behaviours and attitudes related to smoking among a Bedouin population in rural Jordan based on his findings.
Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2013, Vol. 19, No. 6
- July 3, 2013: President and CEO John Christian tells Telegraph Business Club how CAPA International Education has successfully become a market-leader in its field (Telegraph [UK])
- May 20, 2013: High Tech High Student Films Garner Top Awards at 47th Annual California Student Media Festival
Best Cinematography - In the Pit of Your Stomach; Best Story - Duct Tape Ninja
- February 28, 2013: Rants And Raves: Drive-By Cinema (KPBS)
PacArts New Mobile Cinema Takes Movies To The Streets
- August 27, 2012: UC San Diego No. 1 College in Nation for Positive Impact(Washington Monthly)
- The rankings’ methodology is newly modified this year to include college affordability
- March 2, 2012: High Tech High Students Learn Art Of Storytelling With Sound (CAT 124) (KPBS)
- May 15, 2012: Fresh Filmmakers Showcase Cinema at UC San Diego Student Film Festival (CAT 124) (UC San Diego News Center)
- August 29, 2011: UC San Diego Top University for Public Service (Washington Monthly)
- May 18, 2011: Obama singles out UCSD, Cal Western for community service efforts (La Jolla Light)
- August 23, 2010: UC San Diego 1st in the Nation for Commitment to Service(Washington Monthly)
Practicum Walk-In Advising Hours
Can't make it to an information session? Come to Practicum walk-in advising hours or contact us through the Virtual Advising Center!