Find out what to do in the event of an emergency at Sixth College.
Facts for residents of Sixth College:
- A Sixth College Office of Residential Life staff member is always on duty during the academic year and can immediately respond to security problems.
- Residential Security Officers (RSOs) patrol the campus each night.
- Get campus emergency information & register for emergency notifications from campus here
- If you hear a fire alarm, leave the building immediately, locking your door behind you.
- Go to the nearest staircase and walk to the ground floor.
- Move at least 25 feet away from the building.
- Do not return to the building until the alarm stops.
- Make note of the fire extinguishers located outside each residence hall's suite door and outside each apartment quad, so you'll know where they are in case you need to use one.
- Read How to Use a Fire Extinguisher.
- Remain calm.
- If you are indoors, stay away from windows.
- Get under sturdy furniture, or stand in an interior corner or doorway.
- When the shaking has stopped, walk to a staircase and exit the building.
- Expect aftershocks. These tremors are usually weaker than the initial earthquake, but they may still be strong enough to cause damage.
- Stay vigilant for aftershocks or additional earthquakes up to 48 hours after the initial event.
Walking alone at night
- Find a companion to accompany you when walking on campus at night.
- Contact a Community Service Officer (CSO) to walk with you. CSOs provide security escort service from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. Call ext. 4-WALK or (858) 534-9255 for a safety escort.CSOs wear bright yellow shirts or windbreakers with the letters "CSO."
For more information, contact:
- Resident Assistant on duty: If you have any concerns, the Resident Advisor on Duty can assist you.
- Resident Assistant duty line: (858) 534-5555
- Monday through Thursday: 6 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Weekends: 6 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Monday
- Holidays: 24 hours a day during the academic year
- On-campus emergencies: (858) 534-HELP (4357)
- Off-campus emergencies: 9-1-1
- Campus Emergency Status Information: (888) 308-8273
- Physical Plant Repair/ Maintenance Service: (858) 534-2930
- Poison Control Center: 800-876-4766
- Sexual Harassment: (858) 534-8298
- Thornton Hospital Emergency Room: (858) 657-7600
Res Life Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 9:00PM
Saturday & Sunday
1:00PM - 9:00PM
RA on duty after 9:00PM: (858) 534-5555
UCSD Police: (858) 534-4357