Maintaining Your Residence Hall or Apartment
- The custodial staff, who wear uniforms and University identification badges, clean residence hall lounges, hallways, and bathrooms regularly.
- Report all custodial requests (e.g., clogged toilet) to the Customer Service Center at (858) 534-2600. Requests are handled on an emergency priority system. If your request has not been addressed within a reasonable amount of time, call the Customer Service Center again.
Maintaining your living area
- You are responsible for the condition of your room and assigned common areas in the residence halls. Charges for excessive cleaning may be billed at any time to the residents responsible for keeping an area clean.
- Bathrooms: Clean bathtubs and sinks with only non-abrasive cleaners.
- Garbage disposal: Each apartment has a garbage disposal. Use it carefully, as it can be a temperamental piece of equipment. Never put rice, bones, seeds, or hard fruits or vegetables (e.g., avocado, pits, celery, etc.) in it. Always run cold water at high pressure when operating the garbage disposal. If your garbage disposable isn't working, call the Customer Service Center, (858) 534-2600. Residents are responsible for damages resulting from misuse or improper use of the garbage disposal.
- Recycling: Due to health and safety concerns, displays or collections of cans, bottles (including tops), and similar containers are not permitted, and will be disposed of by custodial or maintenance personnel. Please support our recycling efforts by using the designated bins outside each residence hall building.
- Toilet: Do not flush tampons or sanitary napkins down any toilet. The toilet may become clogged, and the residents responsible for the toilet area will be billed for the repair.
- Trash: Trash from your room or apartment should be placed in the large dumpsters adjacent to the residential parking lots. Do not use public trash cans or the trash cans in the laundry rooms to empty your trash. Trash and recycling containers are prohibited on patios and balconies for health and safety reasons. Avoid attracting pests such as ants, mice, and rats by keeping trash and recycling from piling up in your living areas, balconies, and patios. Custodial will not be removing trash from the Residence Halls or Apartments. Removing trash is the responsibility of the resident.
Normal wear and tear
- Problems that arise from wear and tear (e.g., flickering lights or broken blinds) in apartments or residence halls can be reported to the Customer Service Center at (858) 534-2600.
- Please visit the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) website for information on how to submit a request for Pest Control.
- If you have a problem with pests such as cockroaches, ants, fleas, or mice, contact (EH&S) at (858) 534-4534 as soon as you notice the problem, as it may spread to other rooms and apartments.
- If the problem is in your room or apartment, the signatures of your roommates may be required.
- Be proactive in preventing pest problems by keeping your living area and kitchens clean of leftover food and crumbs, making sure food is properly sealed and not left out, and taking the garbage out regularly.
Questions? Contact the Customer Service Center, (858) 534-2600.