

Meeting #4
May 31, 2018 5:15 PM
Main Conference Room

I. Call to Order: 5:16pm

II. Roll Call

Motion: Anthony

Second: Felipe

III. Approval of Minutes

Children detained (and lost) by ICE at Tijuana SD border

IV. Moment of Silence

V. Public Input

VI. Special Presentation

CALPIRG at UCSD

Submitted by Sophie Haddad, CALPIRG Statewide Board Chair

Presentation can be found [HERE](#).

Questions:

Andy: Increase volunteers from last year?

Sophie: Not sure

A: \$10, can students opt-out at any time?

So: Yes

A: Is this clearly written that it is a quarterly fee?

S: Yes

A: Speaking of the campaign for next quarter...how did you develop this to be your lead campaign?? Did you talk to students around campus? How do you gauge student need?

S: There's a student board of directors which is made up of student boards of each chapter. They decide on the lead campaign

A: When does the textbook pilot program start?

S: Don't have date but can look

Anthony: How can you opt-in to this fee?

Sophie: Huge pledge drives every quarter. We have clipboards with sheets and wave down people on Library Walk, asking if they want to add onto their tuition

Rebecca: Are these initiatives that pertain to California or are they national?

Sophie: Some campaigns have PIRGs from other states. For example, the New Voters Projects are across country, but some are CA specific.

R: How are they involved in more controversial issues, i.e. gun control/violence?

S: CALPIRG = public interest. Only work on something that 70% of the public agrees on, so we don't work on highly controversial issues

Andy: I can send out Sophie's contact info to anyone who is interested in learning more/getting involved.

VII. Council Caucus/Items of Discussion

VIII. Old Business

- i. *Appointment of Myra Haider as Associated Students (A.S.) Senator Interim*
- ii. *Appointment of Sophia Mokhtarian as Associated Students (A.S.) Senator Interim*

Motion to approve Old Business Items 1 and 2

Motion: Katya

Second: Rachel

Andy: These positions will go on until we appoint new A.S. Senators.

Reports

- Andrew Reinschmidt, President
 - a. Applications for UCAB are open
 - a. Available positions: Chair, Vice Chair, Members-At-Large
 - i. Apps close Sunday night (June 3) at midnight.
 - b. Shout out to Myra and Sophia for being AS Interim!
 - c. Take care of yourself. Drink water. Study hard.
 - d. There is a coalition starting aimed to get voter at an all time high.
 - a. A big collaborative effort between CALPIRG, student councils, Greek life, other campus organizations
 - b. First meeting: Tuesday night, Week 10, 6pm in Blue Pepper (Old Student Center)
Fae: What is happening for this event?
Andy: Get more students involved in voting since our generation is bad at voting. There most likely will be introductions (ice breakers). Tabling; marketing; getting word out.

Justin: Are they trying to get polling stations for primaries?

Motion suspend bylaws

Motion: Justin

Second: Anthony

Sophie: There will be polling stations in each college. Will send Andy information on that--there is a graphic that has the details. Some other things coalition is working on: setting up for November elections, tabling during Welcome Week. Essentially will be helping students register to vote

Motion to reinstate bylaws

Motion: Justin

Second: Felipe

- Justin Gamiao, Vice President Internal
 - a. End-of-the-Quarter Potluck
 - a. Tradition for SCSC to have potluck week 10 meeting of every quarter
 - i. Have meeting, then eat and socialize
 - ii. Plus it's free food

- iii. Have a friend in council who can't come to meetings at the start?
Encourage them to come after their class/obligation!
 - b. Will post a spreadsheet on Facebook page after this
 - i. Please consider contributing
 - ii. Also please fill out any dietary restrictions/allergies
 - c. Will be our "Monthly Council Dinner"
 - d. Good way to use your excess dining dollars!
- b. Finals Week Study Jam
 - a. Working on trying to reserve MCR weekend before finals for people to work/study in. We know how crazy Geisel gets, or just any place with a chair and an outlet.
 - b. Will let you know Week 10/before finals week
 - c. Will have it reserved as much as I am allowed to
 - d. Come study, bring snacks, or just relax before finals kick in
 - i. Feel free to bring a friend!
 - ii. I will try to bring snacks when I come
- c. Admin Team
 - a. Will contact Admin Team (Secretary, Historian) + Director of Marketing after today to set up 1-1 meeting
 - i. Casual discussion, introduction, plans in the position
- Winnie Gong, Vice President Finance
 - a. It means a lot to me for people to be coming out during Week 9 (stressful) and dedicating their time to finance.
 - b. Budget for Welcome Week
 - a. Events
 - i. Outdoor Movie
 - 1. Two movies (older and newer)
 - a. Older movie is cheaper; newer is more expensive
 - ii. Pool Party
 - 1. Held at Canyon View pool
 - 2. Chill by pool. Meet new people. Make some DIY crafts
 - 3. Expenses for lifeguards:
 - a. We are required to hire 1 lifeguard per 20 people, we are estimating 200 people.
 - iii. Org Fair
 - 1. DoggHouse Quad
 - 2. All organizations will be tabling at this event trying to get students involved in more activities.
 - 3. There will be shaved ice, other foods, decorations.
 - iv. Pre-Convocation
 - 1. Unite Sixth; listen to inspirational speeches
 - 2. Will give new students lanyards
 - a. Number of lanyards is underestimated because maybe not all students will show up
 - v. Harbor Excursion
 - 1. Giving students chance to get off campus and explore downtown
 - 2. Budget covers boat tour of area

vi. UnOlympics Tailgate

1. Gets students pumped to win Golden Shoe again!

vii. Beach Bonfire

1. Held at La Jolla Shores
2. Bussing students to get there
3. "Bonfire Guy Set Up" is actually a group of people who will help with set up

b. Marketing

- i. Posters, stickers, brochures

c. Ambassador Program Expenses

- i. Ambassadors are part of the Welcome Team, which is involved with Orientation and Welcome Week
- ii. We are providing training lunch, training snacks, Thank You Lunch, and T-Shirt

d. Note: Welcome Week is about \$27,000.

- i. We currently have \$26,000 in Sixth College Administration Line Item.
- ii. Last year was \$21,000
 1. Main reason for increase is for increase in enrollment

Rebecca: Where will the extra money come from?

Winnie: Will have to work on budget and see which groups did not use their funds and figure out what we will use to cover

Diane: There are a lot of people/organizations who do not use their funding.

Anthony: When going over specific budgets, for certain things there are question marks.

Winnie: In the past, many vendors pulled back or changed things according to their agreement. Elaine found it difficult to constantly adjust budget to match state of Welcome Week, so now there are question marks. This leaves leeway.

e. Requested \$24,122.61

i. Funded full (10-0-1)

c. Budget for Leadership Banquet

- a. **Diane:** The banquet was yesterday. The budget was not submitted within 21 days because still have to pay whether or not SCSC decides to fund. All things come out of my budget, and whatever SCSC decides to cover gets transferred to council account.

- b. My office covers the remaining funds (the amount that was not requested)

Point of Information

Anthony: Which line item?

Diane: It has to be rearranged. It used to be specific line item (maybe it was carry forward?) We are reallocating funds that were not already used.

c. Requested \$3,536.98

i. Funded full (10-0-1)

d. Budget for Sixth College Marketing Material

- a. **Justin:** All material will be Sixth College branded, but other colleges will be free to use them. Sixth logos, teal colored. When tabling for org fair, we can have teal canopy with Sixth logo to establish brand as Sixth College

- i. Will be a summer project
- ii. Coming out of admin

b. Requested \$1,599.99

i. Funded full (7-1-2)

- e. Budget for Triton Food Pantry
 - a. Submitted two budgets.
 - i. They didn't know our line item was \$1500. Felipe told them it was \$1000, instead of actually \$1500, so they changed it to \$1500 after I clarified.
 - b. All money would be for getting food; none for marketing/programming
 - i. Just directly buying food with organizations partnering with them.

Point of Information

Andy: College Council Presidents decided to make it easier for the Triton Food Pantry to ask for money → all councils now have line item for TFP

Diane: All UC Food Pantries got funded from UCOP. The initial three year grant will be running out soon; so all Food Pantries will need to be self-sustaining. Will anticipate next academic year's request to be more.

c. Requested \$1,500.00

i. Funded full (10-0-1)

- f. If you want to know more, I can link you my presentation slides.

Justin: When is next Finance Meeting?

Winnie: Next week, Wednesday at 1pm. So far no one has submitted budgets but I know that some people are working on some budgets that they are planning to submit.

- Vacant, Vice President Programming
- Michelle Mkhlian, Vice President External
 - a. Shout out to all representatives and advocates.
 - a. We all met this/last week. It was fun brainstorming plans for next quarter.
 - b. Event!
 - a. The Zone: Final De-stress/Therapy Fluffy Extravaganza
 - i. Tuesday, June 12, 10am -2pm
 - ii. Will bring up again next week
 - b. Snacks, cute pups, fun times

Daniel H.: where is said event?

Michelle: Library Walk. Will share event page to council page.

Point of Information

Andy: For those of you who have not experienced Therapy Fluffies, it is literally just stations of dogs on Library Walk that you can appreciate.

- Diane LeGree, Advisor
 - a. For everyone who lives on campus: have you heard of Free Laundry Day?
 - a. Friday, June 8, 4pm: Laundry will be free
 - i. Sunday, June 10, somewhere between 7am - 4pm, regular rates again

Point of Information

Rachel: Personally, the way I read it and the way my friends interpreted it was it is free *laundry detergent*.

Diane: It is called "Free Washing Event." The information I have is the information I get from HDH. We had Deans meeting yesterday and our Dean

who is the rep for HDH community sent us an email that says: “All campus washing machines will be set to free by 4pm on Friday, June 8 and will return to normal pricing on Sunday, June 10 between 7am-4pm.” I understood it as free use of the washing machine, not detergent.

Rachel: There should be a clarification email.

Anthony: How are you stopping from people off-campus from using it?

Diane: I...don't know.

Rachel: It's not for off-campus?

Diane: It's marketed for on-campus.

Audrey: It ends 7am-4pm, meaning it ends at any time in that range?

Diane: Yes, any time in that range!

Senator Reports

- Sharmistha Chakrabarti, Fourth Year Senator
- Crystal Tsui, Third Year Senator
- Myra Haider, Second Year Senator
- Vacant, First Year Senator
- Rebecca Caputo, Transfer Senator
 - a. Tomorrow, June 1: the Village is throwing a throwback BBQ
 - a. Lol BBQ for free at the Village
 - b. 7pm - 9pm
 - b. Senator projects:
 - a. Trying to figure out how to do mentorship/mentee programs
 - i. If you have any ideas, come at me. I need help brainstorming and creating a bigger network of fourth year people to help the younger people
 - c. Questions:
 - Justin:** Is this program only meant for transfers?
 - Rebecca:** Not sure. In general helping the community of fourth year transfers is my goal.
- Vacant, Commuter Senator
- Vacant, International and Out-of-State Senator
- Vacant, A.S. Senator
- Vacant, A.S. Senator

Interim A.S. Senator, Myra:

- a. Rundown of what went down at AS Meeting
 - a. CALPIRG: Sophie gave same presentation
 - b. Primaries start June 5!
- b. President Gomez talked
 - a. UCAB applications open
 - i. Undocumented Student Workers Group have open positions
 - 1. You can find information online
- c. Senator Morris talked
 - a. A project that is being worked on:
 - i. During finals week, planning to have boxes at shuttle stops
 - 1. Scantrons, pencils, blue books
 - ii. You can volunteer. Let me know if you are interested.
- d. J-Board

- a. Increasing transparency between students and J-Board so that students know what they are doing
 - b. Position available: Justice
 - i. Position is lifelong: lasts from start until graduation
 - ii. Contact me if interested!
- e. Fund the UC
 - a. Student lobbying in Sacramento was successful
- f. Speaker: Jake Henry, a sexual assault victim
 - a. Advocating to find more data on sexual assaults on-campus, particularly within Greek life since his incidence was within Greek life
 - b. Trying to find a way to make reports available to public (anonymously) to see if data shows that if there is a specific demographic that is targeted
 - i. From there, want to implement programs. The idea is that you can't know if any types of programs will work unless we have concrete data
 - c. If you have any questions about this, I have answers.
- g. Legislative updates
 - a. AS now has formal stance on supporting Rise California (tuition free college)
- h. Apps for open senator positions close tonight (May 31)

Questions:

Andy: (in regards to Jake Henry) I don't know what exactly to do to show support as a council. We can collect data from council ourselves and implement within council, not sure what exactly to do to push this within Sixth College. Anyone has idea right off the bat?

Anthony: To support, we can make it more well-known. When we're out doing something, make sure we're informing.

Andy: We can start a passive campaign. Posters posted around campus, in Commuter Lounge, in the Hub

Diane: He's working with OPHD (Office for Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination) to investigate sex assault /harrassment. We currently have sex harassment discrimination policies consistent for all UCs. What is he trying to educate on? Resources? Preventive programs? We might have available basic data, i.e. gender, but I don't know if there will be data of affinity groups, i.e. Greek life. Suggestion: just be clear on what you're supporting and what you're educating and what your goal is.

Rachel: What is he trying to do exactly? Will this be an event, or is he collecting information and posting about it?

Myra: What he said is that he is not trying to go back and collect past reports. Next school year, he wants to implement a system and work with that data that they can get from that system.

Diane: Will he receive reports and have them funneled to OPHD, or is he trying to work them to get their data?

Rachel: Adding on, is he trying to make OPHD more efficient?

Felipe: Trying to make it more transparent.

Diane: It's not that they are not transparent, but Title IX Office is using same mandated way to approach sexual assault/harassment cases. Is he trying to create an educational campaign for prevention or is he showing UCSD/national data?

Audrey: He has a Facebook post that has more information. Is it that he has an issue with how off-campus incidents within Greek Life gets reported?

Myra: Not sure about that.

Diane: Kind of answer, but not really. Something that happens on campus is reported to Title IX Office, or if it happens off-campus--depending on what nature of incident is--the Conduct Office can work with Student Affairs Office and OPHD to get jurisdiction. Just because it happened off-campus doesn't mean it may not be handled. Or if a student org hosts off-campus, same on-campus rules apply.

Rachel: Isn't data from student organizations already going to OPHD? I don't understand what data he is trying to collect.

Diane: I agree; that is what I am trying to get you to think about. Is it an awareness campaign, i.e. comparing UCSD's statistics to California/national stats? Consider inviting him in; especially if this is something you want to get behind.

Michelle M: I found his FB post. It explains everything we are talking about in detail. What it seems like he wants is to pressure Greek Life to release sexual assault statistics for frats/srats. He is working with an organization called No Longer Silent.

Diane: How would they get information out?

M: That I don't know.

Daniel H.: I don't think he's asking us to give data, but it seems more like having us be accountable to have students report that data and to make it known on campus so people can know about it.

Andy: Good discussion. Obviously we need a bit more info. I recommend going on his FB page to get more info. Can talk about this next week. I will invite him in to talk to us after Myra shares with me his contact email.

IX. Reports of Members

Fae: Diversity advocates (me and Katya) have been brainstorming on coming year. We are thinking of creating/releasing an anonymous survey to Sixth College student community to get a feel for what identities they feel are being underrepresented in events/clubs, so we can help remedy that or at least create an event to point them in a direction to organization that would help them address that. We created a rough draft of survey, but just wanted to make sure we were hitting all the marks and with appropriate marking.

-Katya briefly goes over questions-

Feedback:

Andy: There's nothing related socioeconomic standing. That can play huge role in identity, so include something about that.

Michelle N: One of the questions was very guided/has an obvious answer. Try to word it more neutrally.

Michelle M: Have basic information like name and year?

Katya: We wanted to make anonymous. Most likely will provide option: if you choose, please share your name, email, PID

Diane: I think I'm your advisor. I'm not sure if the questions you are asking will give you what you want. Let's meet so we can talk about your goals/intentions behind your questions.

X. New Business

XI. Open Forum

Katya: Tomorrow is National Donut Day! An organization is giving out donuts on Library Walk 11am - 2pm.

Daniel H: Welcome Theme: Cruise Adventure, Suite Life on Sixth

Andy: This was a long meeting... This is a council meeting. Proud of everyone for sticking out, and giving honest opinions. Proud of this; this feels like the first official council meeting of the year.

XII. Question Time

Diane: When is National Donut Day, Diane?

There's an event tomorrow (Friday, June 1), 11am-2pm in PC Plaza

XIII. Roll Call/Adjournment

Adjournment: 6:51pm

"I don't love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful."

- **Natalie Portman**