- Choosing a Major
How to Choose a Major
From the list of majors, highlight those that interest you.
Research each major you consider a possibility by reading the department website and referring to the on-line UC San Diego catalog.
For more information, contact Sixth College.
- Narrow your list of majors down to five departments.
- Visit the departmens and ask any questions you may have. Find out about major requirements and career opportunities, including salaries and benefits.
- Review the Career Services Center's page on Common Majors and Careers.
- Talk about your academic interests with department faculty, colle and department advisors, as well as friends and family. This will help you define your interests and goals.
- Visit the Career Services Center for guidance on your career goals and interests.
- Choose one of the Career Assessment tools and then discuss your scores with a career advisor.
- Narrow your list down to three departments
- Take some classes from these departments. The more courses you sample, the more informed your decision.
- Now that you have taken some classes in these areas, narrow your choice to one major.
- Schedule an appointment with the department advisor for long-term major planning.