GE & Graduation Requirements
In order to graduate, all Sixth College students must meet the following requirements:
For more information,
New requirements have been implemented for students entering Fall 2014
General Education Resources
Students must complete the core sequence (CAT 1, 2, and 3) in order. You should complete the sequence during your freshman year or as soon as you have completed the Entry Level Writing Requirement. The sequence cannot be replaced with college courses taken at another institution.
- CAT 1 (4 units)
- CAT 2 (6 units)
- CAT 3 (6 units)
Information Technology Fluency
Choose one of the approved computing courses from the Sixth College GE requirements list.
Note: CSE 8A, CSE 11, MAE 9, ECE 15, SE 9 are required for engineering students. We encourage students who are not engineering majors to choose other courses. This area can overlap with your major.
Students must take 10 breadth courses encompassing a variety of disciplines.
- Social Analysis (2 social science courses)
- Narrative, Aesthetic, and Historical Reasoning (2 humanities courses)
- Analytical and Scientific Methods (2 science courses)
- Structured Reasoning (1 math/ logic course)
- Exploring Data (1 statistics course)
- Art Making (8 units)
- Practicum course or project (This area can overlap with your major requirements)
- CAT 125 (Public Rhetoric and Practical Communication)
- Courses offered by your major department can overlap with your GE requirements.
- Some Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credit can be used to satisfy some GE areas. Where appropriate, GE's requiring two courses may be satisifed by 8 units of applicable AP credit.
American History and Institutions (AHI requirement)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI requirement)
A knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion is required of all candidates for a Bachelor's degree who begin their studies at UC San Diego in lower-division standing in Fall 2011 or thereafter, or in upper-division standing in Fall 2013 or thereafter.
- This requirement shall be satisfied by passing, with a grade not lower than C- or P, a one-quarter, four-unit course expressly approved by the Committee on Educational Policy for that purpose. A list of approved courses will be provided in the UC San Diego General Catalog.
- This requirement may be satisfied by presenting proof of having passed a one-quarter, four-unit transfer course, or its equivalent, at a recognized institution of higher education, community colleges included, that has been articulated to one of the courses approved by the Committee on Educational Policy for the purpose of meeting the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion requirement.
Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR, formerly known as the Subject A requirement)
180 total units (this includes Advanced Placement units and UC transferable credit from other institutions)
At least 60 of these 180 units must be completed at the upper-division level
No more than 25% of your UCSD units can be taken for the pass/no pass grading option
35 of your final 45 units must be completed at UCSD to satisfy the Senior Residency requirement (students studying abroad may petition to waive this requirement)
Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
Please visit the following resources to obtain more information regarding the requirements for your major:
contact Sixth College
, (858) 534-9001