The Sixth College Practicum is an upper-division, four-unit general education requirement that embodies the college’s commitment to active, hands-on learning. Students enroll in courses that have an service-learning or community-based component to the curriculum and should keep the following logistical details in mind while considering when to complete the Practicum.
- Continuing students must have completed at least ninety units.
- All students should do their Practicum project as soon as possible!
- The Practicum can be done before, while, or after taking CAT 125.
- A Practicum class may be taken pass/no pass.
- Retroactive credit is not accepted!
The Sixth College Practicum program has partnered with a number of unique and exciting programs at UC San Diego. Check out links to each below.
Academic Enrichment Program (AEP): Research-oriented academic preparation in virtually any academic major.
BioClock Studio: Courses in Molecular Biology, Microbiology (BIMM) and Psychology (PSYC) brought to UCSD's Center for Circadian Biology (CCB) through a grant from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI).
Global Health Program (GHP): Field experiences to enhance knowledge, skills, and sensitivity in the field of Global Health (GLBH).
La Clase Mágica: Working with children from underserved communities through the department of Communication (COMM).
Mexican Migration Field Research And Training Program (MMFRP): Hands-on research into immigration from and migration to Mexico in the field of Latin American Studies (LATI).
Partners at Learning (PAL): Mentoring or tutoring students of all ages through the department of Education Studies (EDS).
Partnership Schools Program (PSP): Tutoring and administrative educational internship opportunities at the Preuss School and Gompers Prepartory Academy (GPA), offered in partnership with Thurgood Marshall College (TMC) and the Center for Research on Educational Equity, Assesment, and Teaching Excellence (CREATE).
Teams in Engineering Service (TIES): Multidisciplinary humanitarian engineering and design projects for local and international not-for-profit organizations and their clients in conjunction with the department of Engineering (ENG).
University of California/District of Columbia (UCDC): Internships for academic credit in Washington, D.C. available for all majors and disciplines through the Academic Internship Program (AIP).
University of California/Center Sacramento (UCCS): Internships in policy, journalism, and many other topics available at the state level through the Academic Internship Program (AIP).
CAT Hosted Practica
Departmental, UCDC, and Study Abroad Practica
- July 10, 2013: Dr. Liz Losh, Director of Academic Programs, blogs about CAT 124 course Comicraft for Bedford/St. Martin's: Part II: Service Learning Through Comics - Final Projects.
Bedford Bits: Ideas for Teaching Compostion
- May 31, 2013: UCSD mentors worked with High Tech High Media Arts students to create amazing films in Sixth College's Filmmaking and Authentic Narrative practicum taught by Dr. Michael Trigilio.
Check out some of their work on HTH teacher Margaret Noble's Media Art By Students website.
- Former Practicum student, James Eggert, who participated in Professor Levy's Jordan Expedition co-wrote Behaviours and attitudes related to smoking among a Bedouin population in rural Jordan based on his findings.
Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2013, Vol. 19, No. 6
- July 3, 2013: President and CEO John Christian tells Telegraph Business Club how CAPA International Education has successfully become a market-leader in its field (Telegraph [UK])
- May 20, 2013: High Tech High Student Films Garner Top Awards at 47th Annual California Student Media Festival
Best Cinematography - In the Pit of Your Stomach; Best Story - Duct Tape Ninja
- February 28, 2013: Rants And Raves: Drive-By Cinema (KPBS)
PacArts New Mobile Cinema Takes Movies To The Streets
- August 27, 2012: UC San Diego No. 1 College in Nation for Positive Impact(Washington Monthly)
- The rankings’ methodology is newly modified this year to include college affordability
- March 2, 2012: High Tech High Students Learn Art Of Storytelling With Sound (CAT 124) (KPBS)
- May 15, 2012: Fresh Filmmakers Showcase Cinema at UC San Diego Student Film Festival (CAT 124) (UC San Diego News Center)
- August 29, 2011: UC San Diego Top University for Public Service (Washington Monthly)
- May 18, 2011: Obama singles out UCSD, Cal Western for community service efforts (La Jolla Light)
- August 23, 2010: UC San Diego 1st in the Nation for Commitment to Service(Washington Monthly)